This Asian Inspired Snack Mix is incredibly easy and out of this world amazing! Dangerously addictive…it is best shared with friends! Trust me, they will love you for it! Enjoy!
List of Ingredients
- 1 Box Crispix (12 ounces)
- 3 Tbsp Salted butter
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Light corn syrup (I use brown rice syrup.)
- 2 Tbsp Neutral flavored oil (I use refined expeller pressed coconut oil which has no flavor unlike virgin coconut oil.)
- 1 ½ Tsp (or ½ Tbsp) Soy sauce or tamari sauce
- ~2 Tbsp Toasted sesame seed (Can be purchased toasted/roasted)
- ~⅓ Cup *Ajitsuke nori strips (or to taste)
- ~½ Cup Spanish peanuts (optional)
*Japanese seasoned roasted seaweed is sometimes labeled as teriyaki seaweed. You can also use “plain/unseasoned” roasted seaweed but seasoned lends itself to a better tasting snack mix.
List of Tools
- Small pot
- Heat resistant spatula or spoon
- Cutting board and knife
- Scissors to cut the ajitsuke nori into strips (Please be sure these are clean.)
- Measuring spoons and measuring glass is helpful
- Measuring cups
- Spoon and spatula
- Two spatulas and resting plate to toss the cereal with the glaze
- Extra large mixing bowl (I use a salad bowl.)
- Parchment paper to line the baking sheet
- Oven mitts
- Large baking sheet (I use a 13” x 17” jelly roll pan.)
- Airtight container or ziploc bag for storing the snack mix
- Serving bowls
Prepare the ajitsuke nori and Crispix
The plain/unseasoned roasted seaweed can usually be found pre-cut in the stores. Ajitsuke nori is typically sold in individual packets or in a screw top container in small sheets. Use clean scissors to cut the ajitsuke nori into strips. Aim for strips ⅛” wide by ½”-1” long. Cut enough to loosely fill a ⅓ cup measuring cup. (More or less can be used according to taste.) Sprinkle the strips of nori into the bottom of an extra large mixing bowl and then add the bag of Crispix on top.
Add ingredients to a small pot
Add the butter, sugar, light corn syrup, neutral oil and soy/tamari sauce in a small pot and melt on low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. Turn the heat down if it begins to bubble. Continue to stir until everything is blended together nicely. Remove from the heat and add in 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds and stir until fully incorporated.
Toss the glaze mixture with Crispix
Drizzle the ingredients from the pot over the cereal/nori. Use a spatula to remove all the glaze mixture from the pot. Now toss the ingredients to coat evenly. Add more ajitsuke nori at this point if desired or the ~½ cup of Spanish peanuts. And toss again.
Spread on a baking sheet
Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. (I use a 13” x 17” jelly roll pan.) Spread out the mixture evenly and bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour on the middle rack. Every 15 minutes turn over/stir the mixture to evenly bake.
Let cool completely
When finished baking, let the snack mix cool completely on the baking sheet to maximize crispiness.
Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. Keeps well for a few days!
Don’t forget to submit a photo of your creations! You can upload your photos using my Contact form!